ITGI: Turkey - Greece - Italy Gas Pipeline
ITGI (Interconnector Turkey-Greece-Italy) is the new European
gas infrastructure which will enable to open the so called
“Southern Gas Corridor” by connecting the Caspian and
Middle East areas, where 20% of world’s gas reserves are
located, to Italy and Europe through Turkey and Greece.
The pipeline will have a transport capacity of up to 10 billion cubic metres of natural gas a year.
The project comprises the following pipeline sections:
- Turkish grid, which will be upgraded in order to enable the transit of gas volumes for Italy and Greece
- ITG (Interconnector Turkey-Greece) which is in operation since November 2007 and has a transport capacity of about 11.5 billion cubic metres of natural gas a year
- IGI (Interconnector Greece-Italy) project with
a transport capacity of about 9 billion cubic metres of natural gas
a year. IGI pipeline will be 800 kilometres long
IGI Onshore: 600 km onshore pipeline in the Greek territory (to be developed by Desfa, the Greek Transmission System Operator);
IGI Poseidon: 200 km offshore pipeline across the Ionian Sea (under development by IGI Poseidon SA, a joint venture between Edison and the Greek company Depa).
greece - bulgaria pipeline
ITGI project also includes a pipeline between Greece and
Bulgaria through IGB (Interconnector
Greece-Bulgaria) with a transport capacity of 3 to 5 billion cubic
metres per year. The pipeline will connect Komotini in Greece to
Stara Zagora in Bulgaria and will be about 170 kilometres long. It
will be developed by an Asset Company equally owned by IGI Poseidon
SA and Bulgarian Energy Holding.
A STRATEGIC PROJECT FOR ITALY AND EUROPE
The EU acknowledged ITGI as a Project of European Interest and
included it among the Southern Gas Corridor Projects of the
European Recovery Plan with a 100 million Euro financing. The IGB
pipeline was included in the same plan with 45 million Euro
benefits of ITGI
The completion of the ITGI pipeline and of its spur to Bulgaria
(IGB) will enable to:
- Diversify supply routes for Italy and Europe
- Enhance supply security in Southern East Europe (through Greece and Bulgaria) and in other European countries (through Italy).
- Implement solidarity mechanisms in eastern Europe in case of supply interruption thanks to the connection to the multiple gas import routes Italy has and to the wide storage capacity towards these markets.
Related press releases
Edison - ITGI: Today's agreement in Azerbaijan is a big steep
forward for opening the Southern Gas Corridor
IGI Poseidon SA and Bulgarian Energy Holding establish the asset company "ICGB EAD" company to build Grece Bulgaria pipeline, the Balcan spur of ITGI
BEH, DEPA and Edison: project development and shareholders' agreement to build Greece-Bulgaria pipeline (IGB)