"Guido Semenza" hydroelectric power plant (BG) Staff and operation control Operating staff: this is an unmanned facility. The staff of the C. Esterle power plant also attends to this facility. Facility surveillance: 3 watchmen of the Poirèe dam; the powerhouse is not under surveillance. Operation control and data transmission: the facility is operated remotely from the Venina Operations Centre. History At the beginning of WW1, Edison had already built, also thanks to affiliate or controlled companies, many hydroelectric power plants, on the rivers Adda, Ticino, Toce, Brembo, and Oglio. However, electricity consumption was going through the roof, and new power plants were still required.Therefore, in 1917 they decided to harness the remaining share of the energy offered by the Adda river in the summer, and the smallest of the facilities on the Adda was built in Calusco. It was later named after Mr. Guido Semenza, the company's technical manager. The original hydraulic structure was special, in that there were no reservoirs or conduits: each forebay reservoir had an immersed Francis turbine with six impellers, divided into three couples and connected by a long shaft, which connected them to the alternator in the engine room. This was dictated by the technological limitations of the time: the amount of water turbined by each group was so big that it had to be split onto more impellers. The facility began operations, with two groups at 1,800 kW each, in August 1920. The facility was fully refurbished in 2002-2003, when two new groups with kaplan turbines were installed. The refurbishment respected the original architecture of the facility, which remained intact on the outside and was also accurately renovated. How the facility works The facility is part of the chain of hydroelectric power plants of the Adda river, involving the municipalities of Robbiate (LC) and Cornate d’Adda (MI). The chain consists of the “Carlo Esterle”, “Guido Semenza” and “Angelo Bertini” power plants. Main features Via delle Valli – 24033 Calusco d’Adda (BG) OPERATING SINCE 1920 INSTALLED CAPACITY 7 MW AVERAGE PRODUCTION 24,22 GWh DETAILS Type of facility: run-of-the-river Staff and operation control Operating staff this is an unmanned facility. The staff of the C. Esterle power plant also attends to this facility. Operation control and data transmission the facility is operated remotely from the Venina Operations Centre. Surveillance 3 watchmen of the Poirèe dam; the powerhouse is not under surveillance.